The Senior High School computer placement policy currently gives 30 percent priority placement to Grade ‘A’ schools to students from public schools before the remaining 70 per cent is shared to all basic schools across the country.
The Ghana National Council of Private Schools (GNACOPS) and Ghana National Association of Private Schools (GNAPS) says the policy rolled out by the Ghana Education Service and the Ministry of Education is discriminatory towards private schools.
Leadership of the Ghana National Council of Private Schools (GNACOPS) is preparing to sue government over what they describe as a discriminatory, uneven distribution of students under the Senior High School computer placement system.
The Public Relation Officer of the council, Mr. Samuel Nyamekye , says the 30 percent priority allocation of grade “A” SHS admissions to public schools is a disadvantage to students in private Junior High Schools.
The situation he says is forcing students to leave the private basic institutions for public schools to increase their chances of getting placement by the SHS computer selection system.
Leadership of the association says all means to have the policy reversed have proved futile.
Speaking to Akyem Aboabo based- Ahenkan FM’s “Maakye” morning show monitored by TodayGhanaMedia.com, Mr Nyamekye indicated that “we’ve used many avenues of trying to persuade the government and policymakers to do away with this discriminatory policy of 30% priority placement to category ‘A’ schools for public junior high schools. It’s reached a level where we indeed need to test the law and see how we can get the issue addressed”.
“Every student entering senior high school wants the best. So, when they go to a private school, their chances of entering a category ‘A’ school are reduced. So, when they get to the early years of junior high school, they leave the private schools and go to the public. These students because of their grooming from the private schools they come out as the best and get placed in the best senior high schools,” he said.
He have petition the Ministry of Education, Ghana Education Service but no assurance has been given yet.
Mr. Nyamekye says the private schools are now recording lower student enrolment for the basic education certificate examination due to what they describe as the ‘discriminatory’ policy.
Review of Free SHS Policy
The Public Relation Officer of GNACOPS, Mr Samuel Nyamekye called on government through the ministry of education to have a cut off in admission into the secondary schools under the free SHS programme.
According to Mr Samuel Nyamekye, some of large scale promotions of students from the basic school to the secondary school must be restricted and tailored for students who are poor and needy but brilliant.
“There is no scholarship programme that is free for all and doesn’t have a cut off point or not based on performance”.
He stressed that students must be able to justify the money that the government or the state is spending on them to the academic performance.
“So we want government to place a quota on free education, at least aggregate 25 once you don’t get grade you cannot enjoy free SHS and students must be told this right from the beginning when they enter JHS”he quizzed.
Issues Of Conjection
On the issues of conjection on the various campuses, the Executive director said government needs to liaise with the private Secondary schools owners and see how they can absorb the conjections.
According to him, government should give the private schools 30% of students who graduate every year to the private schools so that their business will survive because they create employment.
He is of the view that ,government sitting down with private school owners will solve the double track system we find ourselves in as a country.
There are four types of content published on TodayGhanaMedia.com daily: curated content; syndicated content; user-generated content; and original content.
Send your news stories to Todayghanamedia@gmail.com and Chat with us via WhatsApp on +233 200818719